Okay guys I found this amazing book the other day when I was organizing my desk! It’s called “So You Want to Get Married” by Nick Sanchez. I think one of my aunts gave it to me a long time ago but I never got around to reading it! And now that I have… I can’t believe I didn’t before! It is definitely eye opening and a great resource for those who are dating or who want to get married. I feel like everyone should read this actually! This book has questions everyone should be asking whether you are single, dating, engaged, or possibly even married and looking to strengthen your marriage.
In this book, there are five different categories that asks different questions. It is tailored more towards girls but it can be applied to men asking their girls the same questions. Here are my top 2-3 questions under each category:
- Does he have a love of God and is He committed to Him?
- Does he have a strong belief in unselfish service to others as an important and integral part of a fulfilling life?
- Does he have a plan for supporting a family? Has he discussed it with you?
- What are his goals and aspirations for the future? Have you discussed them with him?
- Do you see him making real effort and real sacrifices to achieve the goals he says he has?
- What specifically have I identified as his baggage? Write down potential issues, number them, describe the problems, and analyze them.
- Is he a grateful person, or does he take things for granted and feel the world revolves around him?
- Can you name 5 important family values that he has? Write them down and ponder them. If you cannot, there may be a problem.
- What importance does family have for him?
- Does he know and understand the importance of fidelity in your relationship?
- Are there old relationships in his life that have not been resolved that could impede your flourishing relationship?
- Is he physically active, strong, able to work and provide for his family, and does he live a healthy lifestyle.
- Has he, in the past, and does he now, abstain from drugs and alcohol, and does he eat healthy foods.
Don’t be afraid to have these conversations! I can’t stress this enough. It’s okay to talk about these things! Just a little food for thought on this rainy (it’s rainy where